GOMAD Diet: The Diet That Helps Skinny Guys Gain 30 Pounds In 30 Days
Are you looking for a new way to pack on muscle, bulk up, and gain weight fast? If you are having trouble fitting extra calories into your diet, or if you have a rapid fast metabolism, then look no further than the GOMAD diet.
Even Mark Rippletoe, author of the popular fitness book called Starting Strength, suggested that underweight teenage men looking to get shredded should try out the GOMAD diet!
But what exactly is the GOMAD diet you ask?
In this article I will try my best to answer every question you could possibly have about this simple, cheap, and effective diet.
What Is The GOMAD Diet?
The term GOMAD stands for drinking a “Gallon Of Milk A Day”.
You read that correctly, the goal of this diet is to drink an entire gallon of whole milk every day – not 1% milk, not 2% milk, not chocolate, soy, almond, or skim milk – strictly whole milk.
As you can imagine, drinking an entire gallon of milk per day is going to give your body an incredible boost in calorie intake spread throughout your day. Just to give you some numbers, a gallon (3.79L) of whole milk contains 2340 calories, 192g of carbohydrates, 128g of fat, and a whopping 128g of protein.
Now consider this, a typical diet for most people is 1500 calories. In order words, if you eat your typical breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks diet while simultaneously drinking a gallon of milk a day, you are absolutely going to see some changes to your body.
Picture this, even if you eat just 1500 calories worth of food throughout the day, but also drink a gallon of milk, you will have effectively consumed over 3800 calories for the day – that’s more calories than what most bodybuilders consume!
GOMAD Diet Benefits
Let’s take a second to analyze the benefits of the GOMAD diet.
- Stay Hydrated — Whole milk as a food source is difficult to beat in terms of macronutrients and micronutrients. Since milk is approximately 87% water, you will absolutely stay hydrated while doing this diet.
- Stimulates Protein Synthesis — The results from this study suggest that whole milk may have increased utilization of available amino acids for protein synthesis.
- Weight Gains — If you go a month of doing GOMAD and do not see an increase in body weight, you did something very, very wrong. It is not uncommon for people to pack on as much as 25 pounds after just a single month.
- Inexpensive — On a cost per calorie basis, you will not find a cheaper food source than whole milk. Common sense indicates that solid foods and weight gainer supplements cost far more than a couple gallons of milk.
- Easy & Convenient — Liquid food is easier to consume than solid foods and is faster to digest. And unlike preparing chicken, drinking milk requires zero preparation and is easy to take with you. Note: drinking milk while on the go is pretty weird though…unless you don’t mind looking like Alex and his droog friends (that’s a Clockwork Orange reference).
- Strength Gains — The enormous amount of protein and fat intake from GOMAD will give you significant increases in strength and muscle. In order to fully maximize these benefits, start performing heavy compound lifts more frequently in an effort to maximize the amount of muscle gained.
GOMAD Diet Side Effects
As you can imagine, the GOMAD diet has it’s flaws. Listed below are some things you should take into consideration prior to chugging your first glass of whole milk:
- You Will Get Fatter — You will most certainly get fatter consuming nearly 4500 calories per day. There are hundreds of GOMAD success stories about people claiming to have gained 20 pounds in a single month, but do you think it is all muscle mass? Of course not. The majority of the weight you gain will be stored as fat and water. If you are going to do this diet, prepare to go on a weight cut afterwards. There is an exception though. Ectomorphs who are new to weight gaining will presumably have a lot of room for fat gains.
- Bloating, Diarrhea, Gas, Nausea, Side Pain — According to Genetics Home Reference, approximately 65% of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. That being said, it is quite possible that you experience periods of bloating, diarrhea, excessive gas, nausea, and side pain when you start your GOMAD diet.
- You Will Not Feel Hungry — Combining a gallon of milk with a full diet may seem simple, but the fact of the matter is that such a quantity of whole milk will make you feel full all the time.
Does The GOMAD Diet Work?
If your goal is to gain weight, then absolutely the GOMAD diet will work. The diet is not suitable for all people however. Women, people with sedentary (desk) jobs, and experienced athletes should all avoid the GOMAD diet.
If you do some quick research on your genetic muscular composition, you’ll quickly see that some people can add muscle to their frame better than others.
For experienced athletes, over time the law of diminishing returns will take effect and all of those extra kcals will be stored as a result of the GOMAD diet will instead be stored as excess fat mass.
The ideal candidate for the GOMAD diet is the underweight, overactive teenage male.
Whether they are looking to pack on some weight in time for high school hockey season, or if they just want to get bigger (and stronger) in general, the GOMAD diet will absolutely help them.
Is GOMAD Safe?
Of course! All you are doing is simply drinking a lot milk.
If the GOMAD diet was dangerous, you probably wouldn’t see many babies being breastfeed (that’s not factual, just my opinion…I could be terribly wrong).
And even if drinking milk wasn’t safe, it’s not like you are doing this for the entirety of your life (also my opinion) – the GOMAD diet typically lasts just until you reach your weight goal.
After you finish the GOMAD diet and return to your normal diet, your appetite levels should rise, thus helping you maintain your weight gains.
GOMAD Diet Alternatives
Like we mentioned above, the GOMAD diet is not recommended for everyone. Here are a few alternative diets that you may be interested in:
HGOMAD, also called the “Half” GOMAD, is exactly what it sounds like. If you are like me and feel horrible after drinking a gallon of milk, perhaps you should take a step back and drink only half a gallon per day. This method is less harsh on your stomach, and still gives you a much needed protein and fat boost. In fact, I’d probably recommend you start with the HGOMAD and eventually work your way up to the full diet after your body has successfully adapted.
The LOMAD diet stands for Liter Of Milk A Day and is to be completed just like the GOMAD and HGOMAD diets. To give you some numbers, 1L is equivalent to .26 gallons.
If you are having problems putting on weight and also have a problem digesting lactose products, then purchasing a weight gainer may be the best solution for you. Weight gainers may cost more than buying milk from your local supermarket, but the results can be eerily similar minus the harsh side effects. Be careful of weight gainers with loads of sugar though! Listed below are the five best weight gainer supplements on the market right now:
- Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass – To get big, you need to lift big and eat big. But you can only eat so much food. That’s where Serious Mass can help. With 1,250 calories, 50 grams of protein to support muscle recovery and 250+ grams of carbohydrates to help replenish muscle glycogen, this high-calorie, high-protein gainer has a lot to offer. When you get serious about sizing up your physique, get Serious Mass.
- GNC Pro Performance Amplified Mass – Need to pack on the pounds? AMPlify your gains with Amplified Mass XXX – GNC’s best mass gainer ever. This rock solid formula is engineered with ingredients proven to help you increase lean mass, weight, strength and stamina. Muscle up your diet with Amplified Mass XXX – the ultimate lean mass builder.
- BSN True Mass – True-Mass features BSN’s signature ultra-premium protein formula to feed an athlete’s muscles with the essential protein building blocks. The unique carbohydrate blend provides the caloric support necessitated by extreme physical exertion, helping the body prepare for and support recovery from intense training. Healthy fats supply quick-burning fuel to satisfy the serious athlete’s energy demands. And all these high-quality ingredients come delivered with BSN’s exclusive flavor technology, producing one of the most mouth-watering mass-gaining shakes on the market.
- CytoSport Cyto Gainer – With no added simple sugars, no fructose, and no sucrose, CytoGainer’s highly complex maltodextrins are specifically designed to give you a rapid infusion of nutrients to help kick start the critical recovery process. CytoGainer will help replenish muscle and liver glycogen after intense workouts so you can pack on lean mass!
- Optimum Nutrition Pro Gainer – Don’t judge a gainer based solely upon its calories per serving. Because when it comes to gaining lean mass, not all calories are created equally. Unlike typical weight-gain formulas that are loaded with simple sugars and fat. Pro Complex Gainer derives a much higher percentage of its calories from protein-7 premium protein sources to be exact. By also supplying complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), digestive enzymes, vitamins, essential minerals, and great taste as well, we’ve created the ideal lean gainer. Pro Complex Gainer was made with quality, not quantity, in mind. Because we understand that you want to get big, not fat.
What could possibly go wrong from drinking milk? Well, a couple things actually! Listed below are a few common mistakes people making when doing the GOMAD diet:
- Not Eating In Addition To Drinking Milk — Drinking a gallon of milk accounts for 2400 calories per day. Eating nothing else will not result in gaining weight. Make sure you continue to eat your breakfast, lunch, dinner, and small snacks periodically throughout the day (every three hours or so).
- Not Training Hard — Unless you really, really like milk, then why would you bother drinking a gallon of milk per day? GOMAD works best when used in combination with compound lifts like squats. These exercises give the body stimulus for building muscle.
- Not Drinking Whole Milk — Replacing whole milk with skim milk or fat free milk will not prevent fat gains. The carbohydrate content in milk is what causes fat gains due to the insulin spikes. Make sure you are purchasing whole milk.
- Caring About Fat Gains — People who want to gain weight without gaining fat along the way rarely get any gains at all. Gain the weight first and the added strength and muscle mass will make shedding weight later much easier than you would’ve thought.
A quick search on Google and YouTube for GOMAD success stories will show you that many people have successfully packed on weight using the GOMAD diet.
And as you’ll learn from their stories, the people with ectomorph body types were those who had the best results. My favorite story is this GOMAD Reddit post. The original poster goes from 117 pounds to 134 pounds in just 28 days!
And just like with GOMAD success stories, a quick search on Google, Bing, or Yahoo will show you dozens of promising before and after pictures for people who drink a ton of milk every day too.
So what do you guys think about the GOMAD diet? Is it inspiring or does it sound like a terrible idea? Drop us a line on our Facebook or Instagram and let us know. — Chaxton.com Staff